All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Kristin J. Holtgrew-Bohling, BS, AAS, LVT, RLATG
May 12, 2011 • ISBN: 9780323077323
Suggested retail price $67.95
Also available as a eBook
Covering the role of the veterinary technician in large-animal care, this practical text provides a comprehensive guide to clinical diagnostic, medical, and surgical procedures. Not only does this book show why and how each procedure is performed, but it shows the vet tech’s role in preparing for, assisting in, and following up on each one. This edition adds case studies and clinical applications in each chapter, and new coverage of livestock management, herd health care, and care of llamas and alpacas. It prepares your students to pass their boards and gain certification, and can also be used as an on-the-job reference.
- A focus on the veterinary technician's role includes a description of each procedure in terms of the vet tech's responsibilities, explaining why and how the procedure is performed.
- Full-color photographs and line drawings show restraint, bandaging, physical examination techniques, and diagnostic procedures.
- A practical approach makes this text useful in classes and in clinical situations, so veterinary technicians, acting under instructions of veterinarians, can plan and follow through on procedures and treatment regimens for large animals.
- Proper medical terminology and common/layperson terminology are both used, so students can communicate effectively with clients and with other professionals.
- AVMA accreditation is promoted through coverage of the essential large animal-related tasks in the CVTEA Manual of Accreditation for Veterinary Technology Programs, making it easier to evaluate student proficiency in performing those tasks.
- Educator resources on a companion Evolve website include photos of large-animal instruments and equipment, an image collection, and an instructor's resource manual with critical thinking questions, lesson plans, PowerPoint® lectures, and chapter quizzes.
- New section on the livestock industry provides a wider background of herd health care so students can better understand the practices, procedures, and decisions of large animal veterinary medicine.
- New section on llamas and alpacas covers the health and maintenance of these increasingly popular domestic animals -- in the U.S., there are more than 12,000 alpaca herds and 25,000 llama owners.
- Emphasis on husbandry demonstrates how everyday housing and feeding affect care of common large animal diseases, including client education.
- Addition of case studies and clinical applications to each chapter helps students learn critical thinking and skills such as good history taking, decision making, and thinking on their feet.
- Coverage of herd health care includes behavior and handling, safety, breeds, vaccination schedules, and common parasites.
- Vet Tech Threads focus student learning with learning objectives, key terms, chapter outlines, and Technician Notes.
- Other added coverage includes photos of breeds and vaccination and parasite tables.
- Reorganized chapters streamline coverage by consolidating coverage of restraint, nutrition, and reproduction.
Educator Resources on Evolve
- Photos of large-animal instruments and equipment
- Image collection
- Instructor’s resource manual
- Critical thinking questions
- Lesson plans
- PowerPoint® lectures
- Chapter quizzes
Student Resources on Evolve
- Large animal equipment appendix
- Large animal equipment image collection
- Supplemental equine radiography chapter
- Supplemental nutrition chapter
- Supplemental nutrition chapter image collection
- Title:Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Techncians - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323095723 Price:$67.95
- Title:Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Techncians - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9780323077309 Price:$67.95
Section 1: The Livestock Industry NEW!
1. The Importance of Livestock
2. Livestock Safety and Handling
3. Livestock Reproduction
4. Livestock Nutrition
Section 2: Large Animal Hospital Management
5. Daily Hospital Responsibilities
6. Admissions, Medical Records, and Physical Examinations
Section 3: Horses in Veterinary Practice
7. Equine Husbandry
8. Equine Clinical Procedures
9. Equine Surgical Procedures
10. Equine Disease
Section 4: Cattle in Veterinary Practice
11. Bovine Husbandry
12. Bovine Clinical Procedures
13. Bovine Surgical Procedures
14. Common Bovine Diseases
Section 5: Sheep and Goats in Veterinary Practice
15. Ovine and Caprine Husbandry
16. Ovine and Caprine Clinical Procedures
17. Ovine and Caprine Surgical Procedures
18. Common Ovine and Caprine Diseases
Section 6: Llamas and Alpacas in Veterinary Practice NEW!
19. Camelid Husbandry
20. Camelid Clinical Procedures
21. Camelid Surgical Procedures
22. Common Camelid Diseases
Section 7: Swine in Veterinary Practice
23. Porcine Husbandry
24. Porcine Clinical Procedures
25. Porcine Surgical Procedures
26. Porcine Diseases