All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Carl Mottram, BA, RRT, RPFT, FAARC
Oct 25, 2012 • ISBN: 9780323085052
Suggested retail price $76.95
Also available as a eBook
on VitalSource and Kno
Covering common pulmonary function tests and techniques, Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing, 10th Edition is not only an authoritative, on-the-job reference, but an excellent resource for students preparing for the CPFT (certified pulmonary function technologist) and RPFT (registered pulmonary function technologist) specialty credentialing examinations. It includes information on pathophysiology, equipment, and quality assurance, so students can develop the testing skills needed to find and assess lung abnormalities and conditions including asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis. Written by Carl Mottram, RRT, RPFT, FAARC, one of the most respected experts in pulmonary function procedures, this text helps in ensuring accurate test results every time.
- New Bronchoprovocation chapter features important information on methacholine, histamine, mannitol, exercise challenges, and eucapnic voluntary hyperventilation.
- NEW! Reorganized chapters align with typical teaching strategies of pulmonary function testing, first introducing basic content and spirometry to lay the groundwork for all other testing.
- New NBRC-CPFT mapping prepares students for the certified pulmonary function technologist credentialing examination, correlating content to test items in the NBRC-CPFT testing matrix.
- New chapter on reference equations simplifies common reference equations and includes normal and abnormal values encountered in the clinical setting.
- New Clinical Scenario lecture slides provide in-depth case analysis with figures, charts, lab values, and documented research.
- New How To boxes provide step-by-step guidelines to performing pulmonary function tests, taking the guesswork out of completing accurate and result-producing tests.
- NEW author Carl Mottram, a leading respiratory care expert who contributed to this book’s previous two editions, is the Technical Director of the Pulmonary Function Labs and Rehabilitation at the Mayo Clinic and is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and a highly sought-after lecturer at national and international symposiums and conferences.
- Updated coverage of spirometers, blood gas analyzers, and exhaled gas analyzers ensures that you can safely and effectively operate state-of-the-art equipment in primary care practice.
- UPDATED! This edition includes the clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) of the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC), the new credentialing guidelines for PFT set by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC), and the new CoARC (Committee on the Accreditation of Respiratory Care) accreditation standards for pulmonary function testing.
- Updated information on quality systems addresses calibration, quality control, quality assurance, and safety issues in addition to the current equipment recommendations of the American Thoracic Society and the European Respiratory Society and the safety recommendations of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Entry- and Advanced-Level objectives follow the content guidelines suggested by the CPFT and RPFT exam matrices from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Case studies provide problem-solving challenges for common clinical cases, including each case history, PFT testing results, a technologist’s comments, and questions and answers.
Educator Resources on Evolve
- Case study lecture slides in a PowerPoint presentation
- Clinical scenario lecture slides in a PowerPoint presentation
- NBRC-CPFT Correlation Guide mapping textbook content to the credentialing examination curriculum
- Test bank with NBRC-style questions and answers, rationales, page references, level of difficulty, and NBRC-CPFT test topic designation
Student Resources on Evolve
- Helpful equations with the most common equations used by respiratory therapists
- Sample calculations with the most common mathematical and formulary calculations used by respiratory therapists
- Conversion and correction factors to help in converting gas volumes and performing SI unit conversions easily and accurately
- Title:Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno
ISBN: 9780323171625 Price:$50.02
- Title:Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323096201 Price:$50.02
- Title:Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9780323089135 Price:$50.02
- Title:Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323184564 Price:$50.02
1. Indications for Pulmonary Function Testing
3. Diffusing Capacity Tests
4. Lung Volumes, Airway Resistance and Gas Distribution Tests
5. Ventilation and Ventilatory Control Tests
6. Blood Gases and Related Tests
7. Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing
8. Pediatric Pulmonary Function Tests
10. Specialized Test Regimens
11. Pulmonary Function Test Equipment
12. Quality Systems in the Pulmonary Function Laboratory
13. Reference Values & Pulmonary Function Interpretation
Appendix A: Answers to Self-Assessment