All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Kathy Bonewit-West, BS, MEd
Feb 15, 2011 • ISBN: 9781437708820
Suggested retail price $98.95
Also available as a eBook
on VitalSource and Kno
Help your students learn the concepts, procedures, and skills they need to succeed as medical assistants! Clear, step-by-step instructions guide students through common office procedures such as taking vital signs, collecting and processing lab specimens, preparing patients for examinations, and assisting with office surgeries. This edition is updated with coverage of the latest topics and competencies, including HIPAA, the Electronic Health Record, and caring for special populations. Four companion DVDs include video clips demonstrating 76 clinical skills described in the book.
- 76 procedures are presented in a clear, step-by-step format along with underlying principles and illustrations, with procedure videos included on the companion DVDs.
- Chapter outlines and learning objectives prepare students for the skills and concepts they will be learning.
- What Would You Do? What Would You Not Do? case studies challenge students to apply their knowledge to realistic medical office situations -- and a practitioner's response is included for comparison.
- Putting It All Into Practice and Memories from Externship boxes feature real medical assistants sharing personal, on-the-job experiences.
- Patient Teaching boxes prepare students for effective communication, with detailed instructions on how to answer questions and how to explain medical concepts and procedures.
- Charting examples help students understand the process for charting their own procedures.
- Certification Review sections summarize points that are essential to know for the certification examination.
- Highlight boxes emphasize important topics that influence the world of medical assistant.
- Key Terms and Terminology Review help students master medical assisting terminology.
- Medical Practice and the Law highlights important legal and ethical issues.
- Apply Your Knowledge helps students assess their comprehension.
- On the Web provides up-to-date lists of websites for further research and study.
- Student resources on a companion Evolve website feature animations, activities and games including Road to Recovery, an interactive math review, Apply Your Knowledge multiple-choice questions, and 76 step-by-step video procedures.
- Educator resources on Evolve include an instructor's resource manual, over 3,700 PowerPoint® slides, evaluation of competency checklists, TEACH instructor's resources with lecture outlines, and a test bank with over 1,200 questions and answers.
- Four new procedure videos: Release of Medical Information, Preparing a Medical Record, Wheelchair Transfer, and Peak Flow Measurement
- The most up-to-date information on emerging topics in the field including patient care protocol, pharmacology, and laboratory testing
- Expanded information on the Electronic Medical Record, including the recording of prescriptions and laboratory documents
- Updated pharmacology table of drugs commonly administered and prescribed in the medical office
- Current information on the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard along with a new video
- Expanded information on CLIA-waived testing kits and CLIA-waived automated analyzers
- New ADA guidelines for interpreting blood glucose test results
- The PT/INR laboratory test and PT/INR home testing
- End-of-chapter terminology review now contains broken down word parts
- New interactive math review on the companion Evolve website
Educator resources on Evolve
- Instructor's Resource Manual
- Over 3,700 PowerPoint® slides
- Evaluation of competency checklists
- TEACH instructor's resources with lecture outlines
- Test bank with over 1,200 questions and answers
Student resources on Evolve
- Activities and games including Road to Recovery
- An interactive math review
- Apply Your Knowledge multiple-choice questions
- 76 step-by-step video procedures
- Title:Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants - Pageburst E-Book on Kno (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323185011 Price:$98.95
- Title:Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9781437722000 Price:$98.95
- Title:Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants - Pageburst E-Book on Kno
ISBN: 9781455774784 Price:$98.95
- Title:Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants - Text and Study Guide Package
ISBN: 9781437719994 Price:$126.21
- Title:Clinical Medical Assisting Online for Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants (User Guide, Access Code, Textbook and Study Guide)
ISBN: 9781437725872 Price:$156.21
- Title:Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants - Text, Study Guide, and Virtual Medical Office Package
ISBN: 9781437729290 Price:$156.21
1. The Medical Record
2. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard
3. Sterilization and Disinfection
4. Vital Signs
5. The Physical Examination
6. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures
7. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing
8. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care
9. The Pediatric Examination
10. Minor Office Surgery
11. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy
12. Cardiopulmonary Procedures
13. Colon Procedures and Male Reproductive Health
14. Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
15. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
19. Blood Chemistry and Immunology
20. Medical Microbiology
21. Emergency Medical Procedures
Appendix A: Medical Abbreviations