All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Barbara Cherry, DNSc, MBA, RN, NEA-BC and Susan R. Jacob, PhD, MSN, RN
Jan 23, 2013 • ISBN: 9780323101097
Suggested retail price $65.95
Also available as a eBook
on VitalSource and Kno
Contemporary Nursing, Issues, Trends, & Management, 6th Edition prepares your students for the rapidly evolving world of health care with a comprehensive yet focused survey of nursing topics affecting practice, as well as the issues facing today’s nurse managers and tomorrow’s nurse leaders. Newly revised and updated, Barbara Cherry and Susan Jacob provide the most practical and balanced preparation for the issues, trends, and management topics you will encounter in practice.
- Coverage of nursing education brings your students up to date on a wide range of topics, from the emergence of interactive learning strategies and e-learning technology, to the effects of the nursing shortage and our aging nursing population.
- Updated information on paying for health care in America, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and statistics on health insurance coverage in the United States helps your students understand the history and reasons behind healthcare financing reform, the costs of healthcare, and current types of managed care plans.
- A new section on health information technology familiarizes your students with how Electronic Health Records (EHRs), point-of-care technologies, and consumer health information could potentially impact the future of health care.
- Content mapped to the AACN BSN Essentials emphasizes intraprofessional teams, cultural humility and sensitivity, cultural competence, and the CLAS standards.
- Updated chapter on health policy and politics explores the effect of governmental roles, structures, and actions on health care policy and how your students can get involved in political advocacy at the local, state, and federal level to help shape the U.S. health care system.
- The latest emergency preparedness and response guidelines from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the World Health Organization (WHO) prepare your students for responding to natural and man-made disasters.
- Vignettes at the beginning of each chapter put nursing history and practice into perspective, followed by Questions to Consider While Reading This Chapter that help your students reflect on the Vignettes and prepare you for the material to follow.
- Case studies throughout the text challenge your students to apply key concepts to real-world practice.
- Coverage of leadership and management in nursing prepares your students to function effectively in management roles.
- Career management strategies include advice for making the transition from student to practitioner and tips on how to pass the NCLEX-RN ® examination.
- Key terms, learning outcomes, and chapter overviews help your students study more efficiently and effectively.
- Helpful websites and online resources provide ways to further explore each chapter topic.
- Title:Contemporary Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno
ISBN: 9780323187183 Price:$65.95
- Title:Contemporary Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323244473 Price:$65.95
- Title:Contemporary Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9780323101103 Price:$65.95
- Title:Contemporary Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9780323101110 Price:$65.95
Unit I: Development of Nursing
1. The Evolution of Professional Nursing
2. The Contemporary Image of Professional Nursing
3. The Influence of Contemporary Trends and Issues on Nursing Education
4. Nursing Licensure and Certification
5. Theories of Nursing Practice
6. Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
Unit II: Current Issues in Health Care
7. Paying for Healthcare in America: Rising Costs and Challenges
8. Legal Issues in Nursing and Health Care
9. Ethical and Bioethical Issues in Nursing and Health Care
10. Cultural Competency and Social Issues in Nursing and Health Care
11. Complementary and Alternative Healing
12. Workforce Advocacy and the Nursing Shortage
13. Collective Bargaining and Unions in Today's Workplace
14. Information Technology in the Clinical Setting
15. Emergency Preparedness and Response for Today's World
Unit III: Leadership and Management in Nursing
16. Nursing Leadership and Management
17. Budgeting Basics for Nurses
18. Effective Communication and Conflict Resolution
19. Effective Delegation and Supervision
20. Staffing and Nursing Care Delivery Models
21. Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
22. Quality and Safety in Nursing Education: The QSEN Project
23. Health Policy and Politics: Get Involved!
Unit IV: Career Management
24. Making the Transition from Student to Professional Nurse
25. Managing Time: The Path to High Self-Performance
26. Contemporary Nursing Roles and Career Opportunities
27. Job Search: Finding Your Match
28. NCLEX-RN® Examination