All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Donna D. Ignatavicius, MS, RN, ANEF and M. Linda Workman, PhD, RN, FAAN
Feb 09, 2012 • ISBN: 9781437728019
Suggested retail price $158.00
Also available as a eBook
on VitalSource and Kno
Using a uniquely collaborative and reader-friendly approach, expert authors Donna D. Ignatavicius and M. Linda Workman cover all the latest trends, evidence-based treatment guidelines, and additional updated information needed for safe clinical practice in medical-surgical nursing. The seventh edition of this best-selling text features an expanded emphasis on patient safety and NCLEX Examination preparation, new ties to the QSEN competencies for patient safety, and a greater alignment with the language and focus of clinical practice. A new chapter on evidence-based practice in medical-surgical nursing has been added, and a wealth of helpful online resources for students and educators have been strengthened and focused on what students today need to know.
- Cutting-edge focus on the latest trends in nursing practice and education
- NEW! Nursing Safety Priority features including Drug Alerts, Critical Rescue, and Action Alerts.
- NEW! More coverage of evidence-based practice teaches students how to appraise the validity of research and provides synopses of recent nursing research and other evidence-based articles.
- UNIQUE! Emphasis on clinical decision-making, with integrated Decision-Making Challenges, teaches students to apply concepts to true-to-life clinical situations.
- NEW and UNIQUE! New ties to QSEN competencies for patient safety inform students of the best safety practices in medical-surgical nursing.
- NEW! Streamlined, prioritized coverage of the nursing process highlights the most important patient problems, regardless of whether they can be addressed by independent nursing actions or must be addressed by collaborative interventions.
- Reader-friendly, direct writing style makes this one of the most readable medical-surgical nursing textbooks available.
- UNIQUE! Collaborative approach presents all medical, surgical, nursing, and other interventions through the lens of the nursing process.
- Increased tools for NCLEX preparation get students ready for their licensure exams.
- Unique chapter-ending Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections include Key Points lists organized by NCLEX Client Needs Categories
- The new edition features four times the number of NCLEX Examination Challenges to prepare students for the types of questions they can expect to see on today’s NCLEX Examination
- Complete, focused active learning package.
- NEW! Instructor resources include a revised Test Bank, Lesson Plans that incorporate strategies for highlighting the QSEN competencies, PowerPoint® Slides that incorporate unfolding case studies and audience response system questions, and more.
- NEW! Student Resources include materials that focus on the most important content and have high learning value, such as animations, video clips, tutorials, Review Questions for the NCLEX Examination, and more.
- UNIQUE! Concentration on the core body of knowledge for the RN level of medical-surgical nursing practice focuses students’ attention on ''''need-to-know'''' content to pass the NCLEX Examination and practice safely as beginning nurses
- Improved design and updated illustrations streamlines content for an easier reading experience and give the book a more true-to-life look.
- NEW! Greater use of realistic clinical language familiarizes students with the terminology actually used by nurses, physicians, and other healthcare professionals in clinical practice today.
- NEW! Increased compatibility with concept-based curricula enables the text to be used even more effectively with both concept-based curricula and curricula using a traditional approach.
- UNIQUE! Focus on nursing concepts helps bridge the gap between the concepts learned in Nursing Fundamentals, and disorders content learned in the Medical-Surgical Nursing course.
- All-new Concept Maps match the streamlined nursing process format of the text and employ more creative, visually oriented symbols.
- Increased emphasis on health promotion and promotion of self-care focus students’ attention on the important role that medical-surgical nurses have in helping people recover from illness and stay well and prevent illness.
- Rich array of effective learning aids includes:
- Best Practice for Patient Safety & Quality Care
- Best Practice for Emergency Care
- Patient and Family Education: Preparing for Self-Management
- Nursing Focus on the Older Adult
- Home Care Assessment
- Focused Assessment
- Common Examples of Drug Therapy
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Concept Maps
- Laboratory Profiles
- Assessment Using Gordon’s Functional Health Patterns
Educator Resources on Evolve
- 2,000 Question Test Bank (2000 questions)
- The Test Bank has been thoroughly revised by a team trained personally by item-writing expert Donna D. Ignatavicius to ensure a high-quality Test Bank with a high percentage of application-level questions.
- Comprehensive Lesson Plans
- 3000 PowerPoint slides that feature unfolding case studies and over 370 embedded iclicker questions
- Image Collection with over 800 images from the text
- 130 animations
- Teaching Tips (6 printable chapter-length documents)
- UPDATED! Facilitating Learning in Today’s Diverse Nursing Classroom
- UPDATED! Incorporating Technology Into Your Medical-Surgical Nursing Course
- UPDATED! Promoting Critical Thinking in Students
- UPDATED! Test Construction Tips
- NEW! Incorporating the QSEN Competencies Into Your Medical-Surgical Nursing Course
- Integrating the BSN Essentials Into Your Medical-Surgical Nursing Course
- Content Leveling and Concept-Based Teaching Guide
- Faculty Development Videos
- Concept Exemplar Guide
Student Resources on Evolve
- 1,625 Review Questions for the NCLEX Examination
- Audio Key Points
- Fluids & Electrolyte tutorial
- Concept Map Creator
- 60 Animations
- Video Clips
- 20 Audio Clips
- 45 Images
- Content Updates
- Tips for Student Success
- Answer Key with Rationales
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9781455740536 Price:$102.70
- Title:Clinical Companion for Medical-Surgical Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9781437727968 Price:$31.82
- Title:Clinical Decision-Making Study Guide for Medical-Surgical Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9781437728026 Price:$20.77
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9781437728002 Price:$102.70
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno (Retail Access Card)
ISBN: 9781455759583 Price:$102.70
- Title:Clinical Decision-Making Study Guide for Medical-Surgical Nursing - Revised Reprint - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource
ISBN: 9781455775736 Price:$24.02
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on Kno
ISBN: 9781455754311 Price:$102.70
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Single-Volume Text and Simulation Learning System Package
ISBN: 9780323243728 Price:$207.95
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Single-Volume Text and Clinical Decision-Making Study Guide Revised Reprint Package
ISBN: 9781455776399 Price:$172.95
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Single Volume - Text and Virtual Clinical Excursions 3.0 Package
ISBN: 9781455728732 Price:$192.95
- Title:Medical-Surgical Nursing - Single Volume Text and Simulation Learning System Enhanced Package
ISBN: 9781455728541 Price:$208.95
Unit I: Foundations for Medical-Surgical Nursing
1. Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing
2. Introduction to Complementary and Alternative Therapies
3. Common Health Problems of Older Adults
4. Cultural Aspects of Health and Illness
5. Pain: The Fifth Vital Sign
6. Genetic Concepts for Medical-Surgical Nursing
7. Evidence-Based Practice in Medical-Surgical Nursing NEW!
8. Rehabilitation Concepts for Chronic and Disabling Health Problems
9. End-of-Life Care
Unit II: Concepts of Emergency Care and Disaster Preparedness
10 Concepts of Emergency and Trauma Nursing
11 Care of Patients with Common Environmental Emergencies
12 Concepts of Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
Unit III: Management of Patients with Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
13. Assessment and Care of Patients with Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
14. Assessment and Care of Patients with Acid-Base Imbalances
15. Infusion Therapy
Unit IV: Management of Perioperative Patients
16. Care of Preoperative Patients
17. Care of Intraoperative Patients
18. Care of Postoperative Patients
Concept Overview: Protection
Unit V: Problems of Protection: Management of Patients with Problems of the Immune System
19. Inflammation and the Immune Response
20. Care of Patients with Arthritis and Other Connective Tissue Diseases
21. Care of Patients with HIV Disease and Other Immune Deficiencies
22. Care of Patients with Immune Function Excess: Hypersensitivity (Allergy) and Autoimmunity
23. Cancer Development
24. Care of Patients with Cancer
25. Care of Patients with Infection EXPANDED!
Unit VI: Problems of Protection: Management of Patients with Problems of the Skin, Hair, and Nails
26. Assessment of the Skin, Hair, and Nails
27. Care of Patients with Skin Problems
28. Care of Patients with Burns
Concept Overview: Oxygenation and Tissue Perfusion
Unit VII: Problems of Oxygenation: Management of Patient with Problems of the Respiratory Tract
29. Assessment of the Respiratory System
30. Care of Patients Requiring Oxygen Therapy or Tracheostomy
31. Care of Patients with Noninfectious Upper Respiratory Problems
32. Care of Patients with Noninfectious Lower Respiratory Problems
33. Care of Patients with Infectious Respiratory Problems
34. Care of Critically Ill Patients with Respiratory Problems
Unit VIII: Problems of Cardiac Output and Tissue Perfusion: Management of Patient with Problems of the Cardiovascular System
35. Assessment of the Cardiovascular System
36. Care of Patients with Dysrhythmias
37. Care of Patients with Cardiac Problems
38. Care of Patients with Vascular Problems
39. Care of Patients with Shock
40. Care of Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes
Unit IX: Problems of Tiddue Perfusion: Management of Patients with Problems of the Hematologic System
41. Assessment of the Hematologic System
42. Care of Patients with Hematologic Problems
Concept Overview: Mobility, Sensation, and Cognition
Unit X: Problems of Mobility, Sensation, and Cognition: Management of Patients with Problems of the Nervous System
43. Assessment of the Nervous System
44. Care of Patients with Problems of the Central Nervous System: The Brain
45. Care of Patients with Problems of the Central Nervous System: The Spinal Cord
46. Care of Patients with Problems of the Peripheral Nervous System
47. Care of Critically Ill Patients with Neurologic Problems
Unit XI: Problems of Sensation: Management of Patients with Problems of the Sensory System
48. Assessment of the Eye and Vision
49. Care of Patients with Eye and Vision Problems
50. Assessment of the Ear and Hearing
51. Care of Patients with Ear and Hearing Problems
Unit XII: Problems of Mobility: Management of Patients with Problems of the Musculoskeletal System
52. Assessment of the Musculoskeletal System
53. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal Problems
54. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal Trauma
Concept Overview: Nutrition, Metabolism, and Bowel Elimination
Unit XIII: Problems of Digestion, Nutrition, and Elimination: Management of Patients with Problems of the Gastrointestinal System
55. Assessment of the Gastrointestinal System
56. Care of Patients with Oral Cavity Problems
57. Care of Patients with Esophageal Problems
58. Care of Patients with Stomach Disorders
59. Care of Patients with Noninflammatory Intestinal Disorders
60. Care of Patients with Inflammatory Intestinal Disorders
61. Care of Patients with Liver Problems
62. Care of Patients with Problems of the Biliary System and Pancreas
63. Care of Patients with Malnutrition and Obesity
Unit XIV: Problems of Regulation and Metabolism: Management of Patients with Problems of the Endocrine System
64. Assessment of the Endocrine System
65. Care of Patients with Pituitary and Adrenal Gland Problems
66. Care of Patients with Problems of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands
67. Care of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus
Concept Overview: Urinary Elimination
Unit XV: Problems of Excretion: Managemen of Patients with Problems of the Renal/Urinary System
68. Assessment of the Renal/Urinary System
69. Care of Patients with Urinary Problems
70. Care of Patients with Renal Disorders
71. Care of Patients with Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney Disease
Concept Overview: Sexuality
Unit XVI: Problems of Reproduction: Management of Patients with Problems of the Reproductive System
72. Assessment of the Reproductive System
73. Care of Patients with Breast Disorders
74. Care of Patients with Gynecologic Problems
75. Care of Male Patients with Reproductive Problems
76. Care of Patients with Sexually Transmitted Disease