All form fields are required.
If you've forgotten your password, there's no need to register again.
Simply type your email address and we'll email the information to you.
Do you remember your password? Sign in above
By Adrianne Dill Linton, PhD, RN, FAAN and Nancy K. Maebius, PhD, RN
Feb 16, 2011 • ISBN: 9781437722147
Suggested retail price $33.95
Student-friendly and easy to use, the Study Guide for Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing, 5th Edition, is designed to help readers master content and evaluate their progress through practical, useful exercises and activities, including a wealth of multiple-choice and alternate-format questions. This edition places an increased emphasis on higher-level application questions, including exercises to encourage practice in setting priorities, to prepare students to transfer their knowledge of medical-surgical concepts to patient care in the clinical setting.
- Emphasizes application of nursing concepts, with new knowledge and comprehension exercises and activities that ask students to apply their knowledge to patient care situations.
- Features a new section at the end of each chapter: Challenge Yourself! Getting Ready for the NCLEX includes both standard multiple-choice and alternate-format questions (over 1,800) that test readers' knowledge of chapter content while providing practice for the Boards.
- Provides valuable practice in prioritizing (deciding what to do first) and assignment (giving specific tasks to health care providers who may be supervised by LPNs) -- skills that are essential for providing effective nursing care and are covered on the NCLEX-PN Examination.
- Discusses both correct and incorrect answers in an expanded answer key that can be made available to students, enabling them to explore the logic of their choices and draw on their knowledge of many areas to answer case-based application questions.
- Links students to online Evolve resources, where they'll find an additional set of review questions, encouraging utilization of and familiarity with an electronic format.
- Helps students hone critical thinking skills essential for success on licensure exams and in clinical practice.
- Reinforces textbook content and provides ample opportunity for student self-assessment with a wide variety of learning activities, including matching (key term and vocabulary review), completion, listing, labeling (illustrations), ranking/ordering, and application questions for textbook nursing care plans.
- Includes textbook page references, making self-assessment easier and faster.
- Provides answers for all activities and questions in the Answer Key in the TEACH Instructor Resource on Evolve.
Unit One: Patient Care Concepts
1. The Health Care System
2. Patient Care Settings
3. Legal and Ethical Considerations
4. The Leadership Role of the Licensed Practical Nurse
5. The Nurse-Patient Relationship
6. Cultural Aspects of Nursing Care
7. The Nurse and the Family
8. Health and Illness
10. Developmental Processes
11. The Older Patient
12. The Nursing Process and Critical Thinking
Unit Two: Physiologic Responses to Illness
13. Inflammation, Infection, and Immunity
14. Fluid and Electrolytes
15. Pain Management
Unit Three: Acute Care
16. First Aid and Emergency Care
17. Surgical Care
18. Intravenous Therapy
Unit Four: Long-Term Care and Home Health Care
24. Loss, Death, and End-of-Life Care
Unit Five: Cancer
25. The Patient with Cancer
26. The Ostomy Patient
Unit Six: Neurologic Disorders
27. Neurologic Disorders
28. Cerebrovascular Accident
29. Spinal Cord Injury
Unit Seven: Respiratory Disorders
30. Acute Respiratory Disorders
31. Chronic Respiratory Disorders
Unit Eight: Hematologic and Immunologic Disorders
32. Hematologic Disorders
33. Immunologic Disorders
Unit Nine: Cardiovascular Disorders
35. Cardiac Disorders
36. Vascular Disorders
Unit Ten: Digestive Disorders
38. Digestive Tract Disorders
39. Disorders of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreas
Unit Eleven: Urologic Disorders
40. Urologic Disorders
Unit Twelve: Musculoskeletal Disorders
41. Connective Tissue Disorders
Unit Thirteen: Endocrine Disorders
44. Pituitary and Adrenal Disorders
45. Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders
46. Diabetes Mellitus and Hypoglycemia
Unit Fourteen: Reproductive Disorders
47. Female Reproductive Disorders
48. Male Reproductive Disorders
49. Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Unit Fifteen: Integumentary Disorders
50. Skin Disorders
Unit Sixteen: Disorders of the Eyes, Ears, Nose, and Throat
51. Eye and Vision Disorders
52. Ear and Hearing Disorders
53. Nose, Sinus, and Throat Disorders
Unit Seventeen: Mental Health and Illness
54. Psychological Responses to Illness
55. Psychiatric Disorders
56. Substance-Related Disorders
- HESI Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-PN® Examination
- Admission Assessment Exam Review
- HESI PN Practice Test - Practice Questions for NCLEX-PN® Examination (Retail Box)
- HESI Case Studies: Complete PN Collection (1 Year Version)
- HESI Case Studies: Complete PN Collection (2 Year Version)
- PART - HESI PN Exit Version 1
- PART - HESI PN Specialty Fundamentals
- PART - HESI PN Specialty Maternity
- PART - HESI PN Specialty Maternity/Pediatric
- PART - HESI PN Specialty Medical/Surgical
- PART - HESI PN Specialty Pediatric
- PART - HESI PN Specialty Psychiatric/Mental Health
- PART - HESI PN Geriatrics Specialty Exam